Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Discover music, authors, movies: Gnod.net

COOLEST WEB SITE EVER: http://www.gnod.net/

Gnod is the "global network of dreams" and somehow it is VERY capable of telling you which musicians, authors and movies you will like based on stuff you're already enjoying.

For example, I entered "Jack Johnson" on the Music Map page and got a comprehensive map of a bunch of artists I'm already listening to (like Ben Harper, Paolo Nutini, Ray LaMontagne, Norah Jones, Sublime and The Shins), which tells me I'm going to like the artists on the list that I haven't heard yet (like Donovan Frankenreiter). It even includes odd stuff-- indy folkster Elliott Smith was on the map when I entered rapper Mos Def. It's weird that I listen to both of those artists, but I do and somehow Gnod knew that.

There's also the option to enter three of your favorite musicians to lead to to new music that's sort of a combo of the three. Now that I think about it, this tool might be where they get data to make the music map work. Or maybe they just do it by magic.

The movie and book map sections are great too. And there's something on there called Flork that lets people discover other people around the world or something. If anyone tries it, let me know how it goes.

Props to Jessica for tipping me off to this.

Praise God for Gnod! (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Charity Thompson
Charity blogs at caridadthompson.blogspot.com.

No comments: